Friday, January 22, 2010

My First Visit

I am currently sitting in a Starbucks on the corner of 6th and Congress in downtown Austin...what a perfect place to write my next update!!!

As most of you know, the team came down to Austin this week to have an interest meeting, get to know the city, and look for housing.  The interest meeting was last night and was a huge success.  We had 50 in attendance and the Lord showed up in a big way.  I have spent most of today just getting to know the area.  Ross and Aimee are off looking at houses.  Spero, Brent and Greg are looking at housing and possible locations for the church and I have been walking around downtown for the past 2 hours. 

I must admit, I am beginning to fall in love with this city.  The diverse cultures combined with the feel of a metro area similar to Denver is a reassurance that this will feel like home.  It amazes me to see college students, politicians, musicians and homeless all living amongst each other...and what amazes me even more is that they seem to co-exist without as much as a notice of each other.  As I've been walking there hasn't been more than 3 people that have made eye contact with me and only one responded to a "hello". 

My heart is breaking for this place and now I better understand what it will take to love these people.  I believe it will be hard for me to go back to the Springs tomorrow as this already is beginning to feel like home but I am excited to walk through the process between now and March that will lead me here.  More than anything, I am waiting in great expectancy to see God move in this place. 

Thank you for your prayers.  I love you all dearly. 

L

No comments:

Post a Comment